Emory University requires that all degree-seeking and all international students either have health insurance or purchase the University-sponsored plan. In order to meet this requirement, you must either choose to enroll in the Emory Student Health Insurance Plan or successfully complete the waiver process on-line. If you choose to enroll in the Emory student plan, you will be charged via Student Financial Services. For more information about the Emory health insurance requirement, click on Student Insurance Requirement Information. The Fall 2013 waiver site opened on May 2, 2013 and closes August 28, 2013 at 5:00 pm.
The Emory University Student Health Insurance Plan will once again be offered by Aetna Student Health of Boston, MA. Aetna is one of the largest health insurance companies in the nation and is a name that students and their families recognize and can trust.
The 2013-14 Emory/Aetna plan features the following:
- An annual student premium of $2,744 from July 15, 2013 to July 14, 2014 for medical students, August 1, 2013 to July 31, 2014 for international students and August 15, 2013 to August 14, 2014 for all other students.
- Three-tiers of coverage, including an Emory Healthcare Core (90% coverage with $150 deductible for outpatient and inpatient care after co-payment of $25 for specialist care and $50 for Emergency Room; $100 per procedure co-payment for out-patient surgery; $25 co-oayment for hospital out-patient department visits; co-payments are waived at Emory Student Health and Counseling Services), Preferred Care at Aetna PPO providers and Out-of-Network care.
- An Aetna PPO national preferred provider network of over 610,000 providers and over 3,700 hospitals.
- Students do not have to personally complete and submit claim forms for care received. The provider submits bills directly to Aetna.
- There are no pre-existing condition exclusions under the Emory/Aetna student plan and no waiting period for coverage to begin.
- The plan covers 100% of covered medical expenses at Emory Student Health Services, including the on-site EUSHS Dermatology clinic (after specialist $25 co-payment), immunizations, TB skin tests, colposcopies, IUD insertions and Travel Clinic.
- The plan covers 90% of covered medical expenses at all other inpatient and outpatient Emory Healthcare facilities (the Emory Core), with $150 deductible, after co-payment of $25 for specialist care and $50 for Emergency Room (waived if the patient is admitted to the hospital), and $100 co-payment per procedure for out-patient surgery .
- The plan covers 80% of negotiated charges outside Emory University Student Health Services (EUSHS) and within the Aetna network. There is a $250 total annual deductible in-network and a $25 co-pay for physician visits outside EUSHS. Outside the Aetna network, coverage is 60% after co-payments with a $400 annual deductible.
- All non-emergency specialist care must first have a written referral from the Student Health Service, unless you are more than 50 miles away from Emory or the EUSHS is closed. There are also no referrals needed for the emergency room, when students are seen during breaks or vacation periods, for Ob/Gyn or Dermatology services, or after you graduate/leave the university (while still insured by the plan). If you have questions about this referral requirement, or if you need a renewed referral for ongoing care, contact our EUSHS Insurance Office at 404-727-7560.
- The plan offers outpatient prescription pharmacy coverage up to $500,000 (after co-pays) at both SHS and outside pharmacies.
- Mental health outpatient and inpatient coverage has no cap on coverage, including treatment for alcohol and substance abuse.
- Coverage is also available for student's spouse, qualified domestic partner and children.
Plan changes for 2013-14:
- Annual premium of $2,744
- Plan maximum increasing from $250,000 to $500,000
- Pharmacy maximum increasing from $100,000 to $500,000 (at SHS and outside pharmacies)
- Coverage at 90% for services at the Core level (10% patient responsibility)
- Increase the annual Dependent Deductible to $1000 / $2000 / $3000
- Hospital Outpatient Department Visit Copay to $25 (to include MRI / Ultrasounds / CT Scans, etc.)
- Elimination of the Optional Dental plan through Aetna PPO Dental (Discount program available through Vital Savings)
- Elimination of the $200 routine Vision Benefit
- Elimination of 6 months of continuation coverage (only 3 months of continuation coverage available)
Please be aware the Emory/Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan meets, and in most cases significantly exceeds, the Emory student required insurance coverage minimums.
Also, be aware that some private insurance policies will not cover services provided by the EUSHS, nor will they cover dependents beyond certain age limitations. You are strongly encouraged to review your private health insurance coverage and become aware of special requirements and provisions of your plan, such as pre-admission certification, medical benefits and prescription coverage. Once again, it is important (and required) that Emory students have insurance coverage that will provide them with access to healthcare in Atlanta, and not just in your home community or state.
To view the 2013-14 Emory/Aetna Insurance Pamphlet, Brochure or Summary Guide, click here.
If you have questions about the Emory/Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan or the online student insurance waiver process, please contact our Student Health Insurance Plan Office at firstname.lastname@example.org,edu or by phone at 404-727-7560.
For questions about other insurance plans, EUSHCS fees or our billing practices, please contact our business Office at 404-727-0348.