Are you sexually healthy?
The following behaviors, adapted from the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States’ Life Behaviors of a Sexually Healthy Adult demonstrate healthy sexuality (SIECUS, 2004, p. 16):
- A sexually healthy adult will ...
- Be comfortable with their body.
- Know that human development includes sexual development, which may or may not include reproduction or sexual experience.
- Have access to information and resources to protect and enhance their own sexual health.
- Engage in sexual relationships that are consensual, non-exploitative, honest, pleasurable, and safe.
- Express their sexuality while respecting the rights of others.
- Interact with all genders in respectful and appropriate ways.
- Know the difference between life- enhancing sexual behaviors and those that are harmful to self and/or others.
- Communicate well with family, peers and romantic partners.
- Express their sexuality in ways that are in line with their values.
- Enjoy sexual feelings without necessarily acting on them.
- Be aware of the impact of family, cultural, media, and societal messages on thoughts, feelings, values, and behaviors related to sexuality.
- Accept one’s own sexual orientation and respect the sexual orientations of others.
Accept one’s own gender identities and respect the gender identities of other