Skip Navigation

Alcohol Poisoning

Alcohol Poisoning 

This information is provided as a reference and is not intended as medical advice. If you are concerned about your own well-being or that of a friend, please call 911 or  Emory EMS: 404-727-6111 (on campus).

 What is alcohol poisoning?

If you think your friend might have alcohol poisoning, look for these symptoms:

  • Passed out and/or unresponsive
  • Slow or irregular breathing
  • Low body temperature
  • Vomiting

 If your friend might have alcohol poisoning call 911 or Emory EMS: 404-727-6111.

 While you are waiting for emergency services there are some things you can do to help your friend.

  • Try to wake your friend.
  • Check your friend’s breathing.
  • Turn him/her on their side to prevent choking.
  • Do not leave your friend alone.

(The signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning. (2011).


Understanding Medical Amnesty

Your friend needs to go to the hospital from drinking. What happens after you call? Will you or your friend get in trouble?

 The Medical Amnesty process is separate from the Office of Student Conduct. If a student receives medical attention for an emergency related to alcohol or other drugs, the student may be eligible for Medical Amnesty. If the student completes the process, they will not have a disciplinary charge/institutional action for possession or use of alcohol or other drugs on their academic record.

 If you call for help for someone else while you have been drinking or using drugs, you and your friend can both go through the Medical Amnesty process instead of the Conduct process.